Friday, August 29, 2014

Thomas Hennessy on the S.S. Republic

It's been a while since I posted on the blog.  Sorry, but I don't have much in the way of new information.  I did find out why it's been so hard to trace the Irish family roots. I'll explain more in my next post - stay tuned.

I also found the document below that shows Thomas Hennessy (1899-1954) working as a deck boy on the S.S. Republic the summer of 1925, which I thought was pretty cool.

At first, I wasn't sure it was the same Thomas Hennessy, but on the right it lists name and address of his next of Kin, in his case - "Fa -Patrick J.  Premium Pt. New Rochelle, NY."   His age on the ship is listed as 26 which would have been correct and he is identified as being 5' 8" tall with fair complexion, brown hair and brown eyes (although his draft card lists his eye color as blue).  His monthly rate (of pay) was $35. The ship arrived in New York on Sept. 7, 1925.

According to a memoriam published in a Fordham a newspaper, he received his undergraduate degree in 1922 and his law degree in 1925.   Thus this would have been the summer after he graduated.



Thomas F. Hennessy Draft Registration Card (1918)




see more about Thomas Hennessy and family at: 
 http://hennessycox.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_4947.html
http://hennessycox.blogspot.com/2014/03/thomas-f-hennessy-and-margaret-f-cox.html


No comments:

Post a Comment